Friday, August 3, 2007

Flickr and Mappr

In my further adventures with Flickr I decided to put my photos on Mappr. In the 15 minutes I've chosen to do this I have learned the following:

1) Don't locate your pictures with an obscure tag. They don't know where Buncombe County is . I do. The first place I ever saw in my life.

2) Even if you try to make it unobscure there are problems. I moved a mountain in Swannonoa to Asheville. When I asked to post it on Mappr, I was asked to drag the photo to somewhere in Kentucky.

3) The map moves way too slowly to suit me.

4) In a futile attempt to map a photograph in Cumberland Gap, Tennessee, I managed to get as far as Hiltons, Virginia. That would be GREAT for my photos of the Carter Family home. Unfortunately, that's not Cumberland Gap, Tennessee.

5) In my lesson next week on tagging, I will emphasize clarity in the tag.

6) In the meantime, I will continue to struggle with mapping things. This is the second time I have tried to map a photo only to end in frustration. I have yet to map anything. This looks like a software that the brain dead could use, and I am brain dead from a cold. It and I simply aren't connecting.

1 comment:

foxtwin said...

if i didn't know you were talking about this web 2.0 stuff, it would sound like you're either a cartographer ("I managed to get as far as Hiltons, Virgina") or a magician ("I moved a mountain"). Ha!